Ice Hockey

#11 UMass Lowell Bests Mass Attack, 5-2

Sophomore Patrick Kiley scored UMass' second goal of the night against the River Hawks.

Sophomore Patrick Kiley scored UMass' second goal of the night against the River Hawks.

Jan. 28, 2012

Box Score

LOWELL, Mass. - The UMass hockey team erased a two-goal first period deficit, but third period power plays helped #11 UMass Lowell past the Mass Attack, 5-2 on Saturday night at Tsongas Arena. With the setback, the Minutemen are now 9-10-5 overall and 5-8-4 in Hockey East, while the River Hawks improve to 16-6-0 overall and 11-5-0 in conference action.

UMass Lowell tallied its first on the night 10:35 into the contest. Derek Arnold swooped in to pick up a loose puck in front after UMass netminder Jeff Teglia was unable to corral a knuckling floater thrown into the zone. Riley Wetmore and Scott Wilson both registered assists.

The River Hawks then added to their lead 17:42 into the frame. On the rush, Matt Ferreira tipped in a pass from Terrence Wallin and Joseph Pedenza.

After the Minutemen came out of the first intermission with a flurry of offensive opportunities, Joel Hanley cut into the UMass Lowell lead with his second of the season at the 9:17 mark. Collecting a cross-ice feed from sophomore Conor Sheary off the boards, Hanley turned and flung a shot towards the net that saucered in over the shoulder of Doug Carr. Sophomore Eric Filiou earned an assist on the play, as well.

The Mass Attack maintained the pressure through much of the period, out-shooting the River Hawks, 19-8 in the second. At the 15:28 mark, UMass pulled level with UMass Lowell, 2-2. After being denied by Carr on a 3-on-1, reshirt-freshman Steven Guzzo picked up the puck and sent it across the slot to sophomore Patrick Kiley. Kiley tapped it over to Shea and then redirected the return for the goal.



Less than two minutes later, the River Hawks climbed back on top, 3-2. Josh Holmstrom tucked in a rebound from David Vallorani and Stephen Bucco at 16:50.

Holmstrom was then denied on a breakaway by Jeff Teglia in the closing minutes to keep it a one-goal margin heading into the third.

However, after UMass took its first three penalties on the night, including a double minor to Filiou at 2:24, UMass Lowell pushed its lead back to two. Arnold added his second of the evening on the 5-on-3 chance at 2:43 from Chad Ruhwedel and Holmstrom.

The River Hawks then brought the score to 5-2, 9:14 into the third. After a major and a game misconduct to UMass' Guzzo, UMass Lowell scored 58 seconds into its five-minute power play. David Vallorani's centering pass from below the goal line was fired top shelf by Wallin in front. Malcom Lyles picked up the secondary assist.

UMass finished with a 30-29 shot advantage and won 19-of-52 faceoffs. Teglia (1-5-1) totaled 24 saves for the Minutemen, while Carr (15-4-0) stopped 28 for Lowell, including 17 in the second period.

The Mass Attack will be back in action next Friday, Feb. 3, playing at Northeastern at 7 p.m.

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago