Ice Hockey

Minutemen Drop Overtime Decision to UNH

Tim Turner scored UMass' lone goal in its 2-1 overtime loss to New Hampshire.

Tim Turner scored UMass' lone goal in its 2-1 overtime loss to New Hampshire.

Jan. 17, 2003

Box Score

DURHAM, N.H. - New Hampshire's offensive pressure became too much to overcome late in the game and the Wildcats escaped with a 2-1 overtime victory over Massachusetts in Hockey East action on Friday night at the Whittemore Center. The loss dropped UMass' record to 13-9-1 overall and 7-7-0 in the Hockey East.

The Minutemen took a 1-0 lead early after a strong shift by UMass' fourth line. The Minutemen cycled in the New Hampshire zone and used sharp passing to set up their first goal. Jeff Lang (Westwood, Mass.) dumped the puck behind the net to Chris Capraro (Medford, Mass.), who shoveled a pass to a wide-open Tim Turner (Saginaw, Mich.) who rifled a shot past Mike Ayers just inside the right post at the 7:21 mark. The Wildcats then got a break after killing UMass' first power play of the game. Lanny Gare came out of the box and was streaking in unhindered, and was tripped from behind by Marvin Degon (Millbury, Mass.). The Wildcats took the penalty shot option, and Preston Callander flipped in a tough backhanded shot just under the crossbar at the 17:29 mark to knot the game at 1-1.

Neither team mounted any solid opportunity scoring chances. UMass may have had the best chance late in the period on its second power-play chance of the evening. Mike Warner (Waltham, Mass.) sent a scoring pass to Capraro alone in front of the net, but he couldn't get anything behind the one-timer and Ayers kicked it aside. UMass did outshoot the Wildcats, 11-5, in the second period.

The third period was all UNH, as the Wildcats turned up the offensive intensity, peppering UMass goalie Michael Waidlich (Millers Falls, Mass.). But the freshman goalie, making his first career start, stepped up and turned away every UNH challenge, stopping Wildcat shots in the final stanza.



The Wildcats didn't take long to gain the victory in the extra stanza, as the Wildcats controlled the puck and Nathan Martz was left alone in front of the net. Martz patiently waited to get Waidlich to commit and slid the puck into the back of the net just 48 seconds into the extra session.

The No. 15-ranked Minutemen will return to the Mullins Center on Sunday, Jan. 19, for the second game in the series against the fifth-ranked Wildcats. It will be the final regular-season meeting between the two teams and the puck drops at 5:00 p.m.

  • Loading Tweets...
    1 second ago