Postgame Notes: No. 1 Appalachian State 28, UMass 17
Dec. 15, 2006
NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
* Steve Baylark finished his UMass career with 5,332 rushing yards after compiling 1,950 this season. For the game, the ran for 133 yards on 24 carries. His total career ranks second all-time at UMass. His season total is also the second-best effort as well. Marcel Shipp holds both school records.
* UMass opened the scoring with Matt Lawrence charging in from 1-yard out. It was his second TD this season and first since Week 1 when he had a 2-yard TD run against Colgate (9/2). On the drive, Steve Baylark had five carries for 42 yards.
* Steve Baylark went over the 100-yard mark for the 26th time in 50 career games. UMass is 22-4 in those 26 games. He went over with a 10-yard run in the third quarter.
* Brad Listorti had his third TD of the season on a 17-yard catch in the third quarter. It also was his first catch of the game, giving him catches in 14 games in a row.
* Kicker Chris Koepplin had his 16th field goal of the season, from 42 yards in the second to tie the UMass single-season record for field goals in a season, set by Sandro Vitiello in 1978. Koepplin has five field goals of 40 or more yards this season.
* James Ihedigbo had his ninth-career interception and third this season in the third quarter.
* Christian Koegel had a 51-yard punt in the first quarter giving him a punt of 50 yard or more for the 21st time in his last 34 games.
* Brandon Collier had a sack for seven yards in the first quarter. It was his third sack of the year.
* UMass allowed their first points of the second half in the NCAA Playoffs when App State scored on Kevin Richardson's third TD run of the game in the fourth quarter with 13:17 left in regulation. UMass had outscored its opponents 36-0 in the second half in the playoffs to that point.
* Seniors Christian Koegel, Alex Miller and David Thompson all played in their 50th career games, all starts. That sets a UMass record for career starts and tied the mark for career games played. That was set by Chris Price, Kole Ayi, Brian Smith and Dan Schneider.
* The attendance of 22,808 set a new Finley Stadium record and eighth-most overall in a I-AA championship game.
GET YOUR OFFICIAL
|vs Gridiron Club Golf Event, Pine Hills G.C.||TBA|
|vs Boston College||TBA|
|vs Florida International||TBA|
|vs Mississippi State||TBA|
|at Old Dominion||TBA|
|vs Louisiana Tech||TBA|
|at South Carolina||TBA|