UMass/Army Post-Game Notes
Nov. 12, 2005
Fourth Quarter Notes
* Zac Dahman completed a 10-yard slant to Walter Hill to re-take the lead, 34-27 with 3:02 remaining in the game. The Army possession started at the Black Knight 39 yard line. Army used 11 plays and chewed up seven minutes and 13 seconds on the scoring drive.
* UMass tied the game as Shannon James recovered a fumble on a fourth-down attempt by Army and ran it back 36 yards to tie the game at 27-27 with 10:16 left in the regulation. It was James' fourth career touchdown. He also scored on a run on a fake punt (10/26/02), a fumble returned for TD (10/25/03), a interception returned for a score (10/8/05).
* The Black Knights capitalized on Coen's third interception of the day as Army's Carlton Jones ran in from 11 yards out with 13:46 left in the fourth quarter to make the score 25-20. Army went for the two-point conversion and was successful as Walter Hill caught a pass from Zac Dahman to make it 27-20 in Army's favor.
* Army's Rob Davis intercepted Liam Coen at the UMass 43-yard line and returned it 37 yards to the UMass 6-yard line with 13:54 left in regulation. It was Coen's third interception of the game, which equaled his entire total of the season.
Third Quarter Notes
* UMass' George Byrd blocked a punt by Army's Owen Tolson which was recovered in the end zone by Bryan Haynes to make the score 19-17 Army with 6:07 left in the third quarter. It was the first UMass blocked punt and returned for a touchdown since Sept. 4, 2004 at Delaware State when Brandon London blocked a punt which was recovered by Brandon Freeman in the end zone in the third quarter. It marked the first time Byrd blocked a punt and it was Haynes first career touchdown.
* Christian Koegel had a 58-yard punt in the third quarter. That gives him a punt of more than 50 yards in 14 of his last 18 games.
* Jeremy Trimble scored on a 38-yard touchdown pass from Zac Dahman on 3rd & 21 to make the score 19-10 with 10:26 left in the third quarter. It was the first Army touchdown for a player other than Carlton Jones or Scott Wesley in five games, dating to Sept. 23.
Second Quarter Notes
* Tim Day had back-to-back long receptions for 33 and 23 yards in the final minute of the first half which brought UMass to the Army 30-yard line. But Army's Barrett Scruggs intercepted Liam Coen at the Army 24-yard line and returned the ball 20 yards to the Army 44 to end the first half. Day finished the half with 60 receiving yards on three catches - more yardage than he had on his previous six catches this season (47 yards).
* Army took a 12-10 lead as Justin Koenig kicked a 41-yard field goal with 1:24 left in the first half. UMass opponents are 6-for-6 on field goal attempts this season. The kick was the longest against UMass this season.
* Steve Baylark scored on a tremendous 17-yard run down the left sideline with 10:54 left in the second quarter. Baylark was hit by seven tacklers and dragged two of them into the end zone for the score. It was Baylark's 26th career rushing touchdown which is fifth all-time at UMass. He also has 28 career TDs overall to rank seventh all-time at UMass.
* Jason Leonard recovered a muffed punt by Army which set up UMass' first touchdown of the game. He recovered the ball at the Army 24-yard line. It was his first career fumble recovery.
* Army scored on a 46-yard rushing touchdown by Scott Wesley. The run was the second-longest against UMass this season. In the season opener, Matt Hale had a 48-yard run on a fake punt for the longest rush allowed. Wesley's TD and extra point by Justin Koenig made the score 9-3 Army with 13:28 left in the first half.
First Quarter Notes
* Liam Coen was intercepted for the first time in four games - since James Madison (10/15) -- which spanned 12 quarters which he played in.
* Justin Schweighardt sacked Dahman for a loss of nine yards with 5:29 left in the first quarter. He now has 3.5 sacks this season.
* Armando Cuko kicked a 41-yard field goal with 8:21 left in the first quarter to give UMass a 3-0 lead. The kick equaled Cuko's career-long.
* Smith's interception gave UMass 17 as a team this season, tying them for third in the nation by a team.
* Brandon Smith had his third career interception of his career just 4:41 into the game as Keron Williams applied pressure to Army QB Zac Dahman. Smith picked the ball off at the Army 24-yard line. For Army, the turnover was the first in nine quarters.
GET YOUR OFFICIAL
|vs Gridiron Club Golf Event, Pine Hills G.C.||TBA|
|vs Boston College||12:00 PM|
|vs Florida International||TBA|
|vs Mississippi State||TBA|
|at Old Dominion||TBA|
|vs Louisiana Tech||TBA|
|at South Carolina||TBA|