Postgame Notes: No. 8 UMass 35, Delaware 7
Nov. 5, 2005
* The loss was the worst home loss for Delaware since 1986 -- when Rich Gannon, who was inducted into the Delaware Hall of Fame on Saturday, played his last game at Delaware. The Blue Hens were beaten 55-14 by Arkansas State in the NCAA Quarterfinals on Dec. 6, 1986.
* Liam Coen threw an 84-yard touchdown pass to Rasheed Rancher early in the third quarter for the second-longest pass play in UMass history. The record is a 97-yard hook-up from Jeff Krohn to Jimmie Howard against Villanova on Oct. 19, 2003.
* Shannon James had his 20th career interception to end the third quarter off a tipped ball by Jason Hatchell. James leads all active Division I-A and I-AA players as well as being UMass' career leader in pick-offs.
* Tracy Belton had his 10th career interception and first returned for a touchdown with 30 seconds left in the first half.
* Steve Costello had his second interception of the season and 12th of his career to end the first half. Costello is now tied for second among all active players in Division I-AA in career interceptions.
* UMass had its longest drive of the season in terms of plays and time to open the game with 17 plays spanning 7:35. The drive was longest for a UMass team in terms of plays since an 18-play drive against Northeastern (9/21/02), coached by current UMass coach Don Brown. It was the longest drive in terms of time since a drive of 7:52 against Northeastern (10/9/99).
* That drive concluded with Liam Coen rushing in from three-yards for his first-career rushing touchdown.
* UMass held Delaware scoreless in the first half, marking the first time in 21 games Delaware did not score in the first half since its Towson game on 9/11/04.
* Steve Baylark ran for his seventh rushing touchdown late in the first half and now has 25 career rushing scores, standing fifth all-time at UMass.
* Both receivers Brandon London (1040) and Dominique Stewart (1016) went over the 1,000-yard receiving mark in their careers. London went over the 1,000-yard barrier with an 18-yard catch in the second quarter. Stewart went over the 1,000-yard plateau with a 12-yard catch in the first quarter.
* Stewart also continued to add to his total of career receptions (86) which ranks 10th all-time at UMass. London is now 11th in career receptions with (80).
* Brad Anderson recovered his second career fumble in the second quarter. He also had a fumble recovery against Richmond last season on 9/18/04.
* Keron Williams sacked Delaware QB Sonny Riccio for as loss of 11 in the second quarter. He now has 7.5 TFLs this season and 30 in his career at UMass.
* Punter Christian Koegel had a 51-yard punt early in the third quarter which wad downed at the 2-yard line. It marked the 13th time in the last 17 games, he had a punt of more than 50 yards. It was also his 13th punt inside the 20-yard line this season.
* The loss was the largest for Delaware coach K.C. Keeler in his four years at Delaware. His previous largest loss was by 14 points at Division I-A Navy last season.
* Coming into the game, Keeler was 25-3 at Delaware Stadium with the three losses coming by a total of 11 points with the largest margin four points.
* It was the largest for Delaware overall since the 2001 season when the Blue Hens lost to Georgia Southern, 38-7.
GET YOUR OFFICIAL
|Wednesday, Aug 5|
|vs Gridiron Club Golf Outing||TBA||Details|