#20 Massachusetts 17, #4 Villanova 16
Oct. 19, 2002
* Villanova now leads the all-time series, 11-9. Neither team has won more than three in a row in the series.
* The win gave UMass a three-game Atlantic 10 winning streak. The last time that happened was from Oct. 30-Nov. 13, 1999.
* Villanova hasn't allowed a 100-yard rusher all year.
* The Villanova special teams struggled today. The Wildcats had a snap over the punter's head, a blocked punt, a missed extra point and a blocked field goal.
* Massachusetts gained fewer than 200 yards in a game for the fourth time since the start of the 2001 season. It also had under 50 yards passing for the first time since a 49-6 loss to Maine on Sept. 13, 1997.
* Steve Costello had his finest day in a UMass uniform. He blocked a first-half punt and recorded his second interception of the season. He also registered five tackles (four solo).
* The Minutemen allowed 65 second-half yards to Maine last week and only 96 first-half yards to Villanova this week.
* Doug White missed his first field goal of the year - a 39-yarder into the wind in the first quarter.
* The Minutemen defense held Villanova quarterback Brett Gordon in check for most of the day. Gordon completed 31-of-43 passes for only 209 yards and two interceptions. He was sacked three times and ran for minus-14 yards.
* Tim Day burned his redshirt season at quarterback and threw for 27 yards and ran for 17 yards.
* Today's crowd of 11,208 was the largest home crowd since Nov. 20, 1999 (15,847 against UConn).
* Villanova had only 20 yards in the first quarter.
* The win marked the first time that UMass had won a game this year when it didn't score on their initial drive of the game.
* Freshmen Raunny Rosario and R.J. Cobbs both eclipsed the 500-yard rushing mark for the season. Rosario (545) already ranks fifth on the school's freshman rushing list and Cobbs (540) is sixth. Marcel Shipp holds the school record with 756 yards as a freshman in 1997.
GET YOUR OFFICIAL
|There are no upcoming events.|