Postgame Notes: No. 8 UMass 35, No. 22 Towson 0
Oct. 14, 2006
* Liam Coen tied the UMass school record for TD passes in a game with five. The mark was set by Mike Fallon in 1977 vs. Youngstown State and tied by Todd Bankhead (vs. Maine in 1998), Richard Lucero (vs. New Haven in 2000) and Matt Guice (vs. James Madison in 2001). It was a Coen personal career-high as well. He previous high of three TDs came at Maine last season on 10/22/05.
* Coen moved to fifth in career passing yards with 303 in the game. He passed 2005 graduate Tim Day (3,334) and now has 3,584. He also took his place alone in sixth all-time in career receptions (263), breaking a tie with Greg Landry (242). Coen is now also seventh in career TD passes with (22). He passed Mike McEvilly (19) and Jerry Whelchel (21).
* Coen will continue to lead the nation in passing efficiency with a 188.48 mark after Saturday's exploits when he was 21-of-27 for 303 yards and the five touchdowns.
* Coen had his fourth-career 300-yard game in the win, second this season.
* Brandon London tied the UMass record with four TD receptions in the game. He had catches from 3, 20, 34 and 8 yard. He had his only other previous multi-TD game vs. New Hampshire last season (10/29/05). The record of four TD catches was set by Jimmy Moore in 1998 vs. UConn and equaled by Adrian Zullo in 1999 against New Hampshire.
* London went over the 100-yard mark for the fourth time in his career.
* Steve Baylark went over the 4,000 career rushing yards with 102 yards and now has 4,029 in his four years at UMass. The only other UMass tailbacks with 4,000 career yards are Marcel Shipp (6,250) and Rene Ingoglia (4,624).
* Baylark had his 19th career 100-yard game and third this season. UMass is 16-3 in those games.
* Baylark caught a 22-yard TD pass from Liam Coen with 7:28 left in the second quarter for his 38th career touchdown, tying for fourth all-time at UMass with Garry Pearson, who played from 1979-82.
* Baylark now has at least one touchdown in 11 of UMass' last 12 games. Over that span, he has 18 touchdowns (13 rushing and five receiving).
* James Ihedigbo had his A-10 high fourth forced fumble.
* Towson kicker Mark DeSautels missed a 24-yard field goal on the final play of the first quarter. UMass opponents have not made a field goal against the Minutemen this season, they are 0-for-3.
Brandon Smith picked off his fourth career interception with 9:21 left in the first quarter. He returned it 22 yards to give UMass the ball at the Towson 45.
UMass scored its average in points at 35.0.
Over the last three games, UMass has allowed just 14 points total (4.7 per game). Overall the defense has allowed 10.5 points per game, to rank among the top seven in the nation.
GET YOUR OFFICIAL
|Wednesday, Aug 5|
|vs Gridiron Club Golf Outing||10:30 AM||Details|
|Saturday, Sept 12|
|at Colorado||2:00 PM|
|Saturday, Sept 19|
|vs Temple||3:00 PM|
|Saturday, Sept 26|
|at Notre Dame||3:30 PM|
|Saturday, Oct 3|
|vs Florida International||TBA|