Stellar Defensive Effort Gives UMass 40-0 Win Over Albany
Sept. 17, 2005
AMHERST, Mass. - UMass' defense held Albany to just 31 total yards -- a new school record including minus-37 rushing yards on the way to a dominating 40-0 victory on Saturday night at McGuirk Stadium. R.J. Cobbs ran for two touchdowns and quarterback Liam Coen, making his first start, passed for 213 yards and another score to lead UMass to the win over.
Albany (0-2) was forced into three safeties, a single-game record for NCAA Division I-AA. It tied the NCAA Division I-A record foe safeties, previously accomplished twice.
The safeties, one in the second quarter and two in the third, were recorded when Albany quarterback Daniel Bocanegra was caught in the end zone once by John Hatchell and when punter Marc Pallozzi was trapped twice - all the result of poor snaps from center.
Cobbs scored on a 2-yard run in the third quarter.
Cobbs added a 4-yard run in the fourth quarter, then Albany's fumble at its own 29-yard line set up UMass's final score, a 1-yard run by Justin Montgomery.
* UMass set an NCAA I-AA record with three safeties in a game. It has been done twice in Division I-A (Arizona State vs. Nebraska on Sept. 21, 1996 and North Texas vs. UL-Lafayette on Sept. 27, 2003).
* UMass allowed just 31 yards of total offense by Albany, setting a UMass school defense record. The previous low was just 67 yards by New Hampshire (Nov. 13, 1982).
* UMass held Albany to minus-37 rushing yards. It is the lowest total since a school-record of minus-58 was set against Vermont on Nov. 2, 1963.
* UMass posted its first shutout since the season opener last season, a 51-0 win at Delaware State (Sept. 4, 2004).
* Shannon James picked off his 18th career interception - in the first quarter, the most among any players in Division I-A and Division I-AA.
* James is now tied for No. 1 all-time at UMass in career interceptions with 18, tying Grady Fuller (1980-83) and Steve Rogers (1967-69).
* R.J. Cobbs had his first rushing touchdown since the final game of 2002, when he rushed for a school-record tying five touchdowns vs. Rhode Island (11/23/03). Cobbs had two rushing TDs in the game.
* Justin Montgomery had his second career TD on a 1-yard rush in the fourth quarter. He had his first in his first career game vs. Central Connecticut on Sept. 6, 2003.
*Rasheed Rancher caught a touchdown pass for the second consecutive week, as he grabbed an 8-yard pass from Liam Coen in the second quarter.
* Redshirt freshman Liam Coen made his first career start at quarterback. It's his second game, as he came on in relief in the second half of last week's game.
* At left guard, Brandon McAfee started for the first time in his career.
* Kyle Harrington had his first career rush and catch in the game.
GET YOUR OFFICIAL