Sept. 7, 2002
- The game marked the first ever meeting between the two schools. Coach Mark Whipple entered the game with a 4-1 career record against CCSU.
- Adrian Zullo returned to action to give the UMass offense a spark. On the opening kickoff of the game, Zullo returned the kickoff a career-long 59 yards. On UMass' first two plays from scrimmage, Zullo had two catches for 23 yards. He scored his first touchdown since Sept. 30, 2000, on a 28-yard reception with 4:46 to play in the first half. Zullo finished the game with six catches for 96 yards (1 TD), one rush for 16 yards and one return for 59 yards.
- Jeff Krohn also had an excellent start for the Minutemen. He completed 4-of-4 passes for 40 yards on the first drive of the game and finished the day 15-of-30 for 198 yards and four touchdowns.
- The two UMass tailbacks had excellent days in the backfield for the Minutemen, combining for 242 yards on 30 carries and three touchdowns. Jason Peebler ran for 126 yards on 18 carries and two scores and Raunny Rosario saw his first career action and responded with 116 yards on 12 carries. Peebler scored three touchdowns on the afternoon, catching a receiving touchdown of nine yards on the first drive of the game. Peebler's 33-yard run in the first half was UMass' long run since Omari Howard's 38-yard run on Nov. 3, 2001, against Northeastern, a span of four games. It was the first time since Nov. 20, 1999, that two players went over the 100-yard plateau in the same game.
- DeShon Hardy's 31-yard punt return in the first quarter was the second-longest of his career . Hardy also caught a career-best two touchdown passes on the day.
- Mike Douglas had his first career catch, an 11-yarder, in the first half.
- The four UMass touchdown drives in the first half averaged four plays for 41 yards and elapsed 51 seconds.
- Mike Ziccardi recovered his first career fumble in the fourth quarter. He returned the fumble 26 yards to set up UMass' last scoring drive.
- Shannon James had his first career interception in the second quarter. - UMass led 28-3 at halftime, despite trailing CCSU 23:34 - 6:36 in time of possession advantage.
- Brendan Brudzinski recovered his first fumble of his career on the opening kickoff of the second half.
- Joe Bruce had his first career catch, a nine-yarder, in the third quarter.
- Doug White set a career-high with 10 points (7 xp, 1 fg).
- The 52 points were the most scored by UMass in a season-opener. The previous record was 50 twice against Cooper Union in 1931 and 1932.
- The 3 points allowed were the fewest in a season-opener since 1982, a 25-3 win over West Chester on Sept. 11, 1982.
- It was the first time since Oct. 21, 2000, that UMass hadn't allowed a
touchdown in a game (21-0 win over AIC).
GET YOUR OFFICIAL
|Wednesday, Aug 5|
|vs Gridiron Club Golf Outing||TBA||Details|