UMass - Maine Postgame Notes
Dec. 23, 2001
* This was the 56th meeting between UMass and Maine, and the first since Feb. 16, 1980. With the win, UMass snapped a three-game losing streak to the Black Bears, and now leads the series 41-16.
* The Minutemen led today's contest 28-27 at halftime. The Minutemen are now 3-1 on the season when leading at the break.
* Today's total of 78 points tied a season high for the Minutemen, and the 18-point victory marks the largest margin for UMass this season.
* UMass finished the game with five players in double digits. It is just the second time this season that the Minutemen have had five in double figures, having accomplished the feat at Boston College earlier this month.
* Senior guard Shannon Crooks (Boston, Mass.) was 0-for-2 from three-point range on the evening. Crooks has not made a three-pointer in his last three games, missing six attempts against UConn and four against Central Connecticut.
* Crooks finished with 12 points on the evening, and has now scored at least 10 in every game but one this season.
* Junior forward Micah Brand (Middletown, N.Y.) finished the game with 17 points, his second-highest total of the year.
* Brand's three-pointer with 14 minutes remaining in the game was his first-ever made from long range. The junior had attempted just one other three pointer in his career, earlier this month against Holy Cross.
* Senior center Kitwana Rhymer (St. Thomas, Virgin Islands) blocked two shots today. The Atlantic 10 leader in snuffs now has 26 on the season, with at least two in eight of UMass' nine games this season.
* Rhymer finished the game with 16 points, marking the third-straight game he has reached double digits. In his last three outings, Rhymer is averaging 17.3 points and 10.6 rebounds per game.
* Sophomore Jameel Pugh (Sacramento, Calif.) finished today's game with a career-high 12 points. Pugh also eclipsed his career-high with 26 minutes played.
* Sophomore guard Anthony Anderson (Lynn, Mass.) poured in 11 points tonight. It is the fifth time this season that Anderson has reached double digits.
* Maine finished today's game with shooting 36.4 percent from the field. UMass has now held seven of nine opponents this season below 40 percent from the field, and are 6-1 in those contests.
* The Minutemen finished with 20 assists in today's contest, their highest total of the season.
* UMass is now 5-0 this season when holding their opponent to 62 or fewer points, and have won 15-straight games when allowing 62 or less.