Men's Basketball

UMass Drops 68-56 Decision To Maine

Sampson Carter grabbed a team-high eight rebounds.

Sampson Carter grabbed a team-high eight rebounds.

Dec. 8, 2010

Box Score |  Notes | Buy Your Own Copy Of This Game: $9.99

AMHERST, Mass. - UMass shot just 22.9 percent in the second half and Maine recorded 19 second-chance points as the Minutemen (7-2) fell to the Black Bears (3-5), 68-56 on Wednesday night at the Mullins Center. Maine used a 17-2 second-half run to take control of a game that was tied, 32-32 at halftime. Anthony Gurley paced the Minutemen with 12 points, while the Black Bears were led by Gerald McLemore's 12.

After shooting 38.5 percent in the first half, the Minutemen went 8-of-35 in the second half for an overall shooting percentage of 29.5. Maine, after starting the game 1-of-10, went 20-of-40 the rest of the way to shoot 42 percent from the game. After the 11:10 mark, when UMass led, 42-40, Maine outscored the Minutemen, 28-14.

While Maine turned the ball over 20 times to UMass' 16, the Black Bears outscored the Minutemen off turnovers, 20-12.

UMass took a three-point lead, 38-35 with 14:43 to go on a Sean Carter lay-in, but the Minutemen recorded just one field goal over the next 5:50 and Maine used a 7-0 run between the 10:34 and 9:10 marks to take a 47-42. That run would eventually turn into a 17-2 run, led by 3-pointers from Terrance Mitchell and Gerald McLemore, to give Maine a 13-point lead, 57-44 with 5:45 to go.

The Minutemen were unable to mount a late comeback, recording two field goals over the last five minutes of the game.

Daryl Traynham and Sampson Carter each added eight points for UMass. All eight of Carter's points came at the free throw line.

Both teams went without a field goal for the first four minutes of the second half, with a Malachi Peay free throw for Maine accounting for the only point over that span, before Gurley scored on the break with 16 minutes left in the game after making a steal to give UMass the lead back, 34-33.



The Minutemen built a nine-point lead in the first half, 20-11 with 8:55 remaining on a Daryl Traynham 3-pointer, but the Black Bears immediately went on a seven-point run to make it a two-point game and the remainder of the half would remain tight, with Maine briefly taking a two-point lead with 2:03 left in the half before UMass tied it, 32-32 heading into halftime.

Gurley led UMass with seven points in the opening half with Sampson Carter adding six as the Minutemen shot 38.5 percent from the floor. Alasdair Fraser did the most damage for Maine in the first half with nine points on 4-of-5 shooting as his club recovered from its slow start to make 10-of-18 over the remainder of the half, for a 39.3 percentage.

UMass jumped out to an early 12-5 lead seven minutes in as it held Maine to 1-for-10 shooting to start the game. Six different Minutemen scored the team's first 12 points.

The Minutemen remain home to host Seton Hall on Saturday in the back end of a doubleheader with the women's team. The Minutewomen tip off vs. Binghamton at 4:30 p.m. and the Minutemen and Pirates are slated to begin at 7 p.m.


    Event Calendar

    September 19
    vs Court Club Golf Event, Orchards G.C. TBA
    • Loading Tweets...
      1 second ago