Postgame Notes: UMass vs. Cal Poly
Nov. 9, 2007
* UMass opened the season with a 90-64 win over Cal Poly at the BTI Tip-Off Tournament. It was UMass' first-ever game in the state of Iowa and UMass' first-ever meeting with the Mustangs, the former school of UMass A.D. John McCutcheon.
* UMass won its fifth season opener in a row and stands 66-33 all-time in 99 season openers. The Minutemen have won 13 of their last 15 openers.
* Travis Ford is 7-1 in his last eight season openers while coaching at UMass (3-0) and Eastern Kentucky (4-1).
* Sophomore guard Ricky Harris made his first-career start and scored a career-best 23 points. He set new highs in field goals attempted (13), 3-pointers attempted (8), free throws made (11), free throws attempted (16), assists (4) and minutes (36).
* Senior Etienne Brower had a UMass-career-high with 17 points in the opener. Brower's previous best scoring game as a Minuteman was eight last season at Louisville and at home vs. George Washington. Brower had his most points since he netted 18 against Stony Brook on Feb. 16, 2005 while playing for Boston University.
* Senior Gary Forbes had his fourth-career double-double with 20 points and 10 rebounds. It was his third while with UMass (last year vs. Richmond and at Temple). Forbes scored 20 or more points for the ninth time in his career and fifth time at UMass. It was his sixth-career double-figure rebound game and fourth with the Minutemen.
* Dante Milligan drew his second-career start and had nine points.
* Tony Gaffney made his UMass debut, playing 27 minutes and tying his career-high with eight rebounds.
* Five freshmen made their college debuts. Max Groebe was the only one to score canning the final basket of the game on a 3-pointer with 0:06 remaining. Groebe played 13 minutes. Gary Correia played seven minutes. Papa Lo, Matt Glass and Trey Lang all appeared in the final minutes.
GET YOUR OFFICIAL