UMass Post Game Notes vs. Tennessee (NCAA 2nd Round)
March 21, 2014
UMass Men's Basketball Game Notes
1. In its first appearance in the NCAA Tournament in 16 years, the sixth-seeded University of Massachusetts men's basketball team fell to the No. 11 seed Tennessee Volunteers, 86-67 at PNC Arena in Raleigh, N.C., on Friday, March 21.
3. Redshirt-sophomore guard Derrick Gordon provided 10 points as 10-of-11 Minutemen who checked into the game tallied points against the Vols.
5. Williams finished his UMass career with a program-record 702 assists over three seasons on the floor for the Minutemen (6.8 per game). Including his one year playing at Hofstra in 2009-10, Williams tallied 840 assists for an average of 5.9 per appearance during his collegiate career.
6. Williams also ended among the UMass program leaders in points (1,653; seventh), free throws made (448; fifth) and steals (199; second), while his 229 assists in 2013-14 were the fifth-most in one year in Minuteman history.
7. The game against Tennessee marked the ninth appearance in the NCAA Tournament for UMass men's basketball. The Minutemen also earned a berth in 1962 before seven consecutive appearances from 1992-98.
8. The game was the first NCAA Tournament appearance for each Minuteman except Gordon, who played for Western Kentucky as a true-freshman in 2011-12 when the Hilltoppers won the Sun Belt Conference Tournament to earn a berth.
9. UMass ends its season with a 24-9 record, tied for the seventh-most wins during one year in the history of the men's basketball program. The Minutemen also won 24 during 2006-07 and 1992-93.
10. The Minutemen fall to 11-9 all-time in the NCAA Tournament with the loss.
GET YOUR OFFICIAL
|There are no upcoming events.|