March 14, 2014
Box Score |
#6 Massachusetts 65, #11 Rhode Island 61
Thursday, March 13, 2014 - First Round - Game 5
* UMass is now 35-32 in 38 appearances at the Atlantic 10 Championship, 6-5 under head coach Derek Kellogg (Kellogg never lost an Atlantic 10 Championship game as a player at UMass from 1992-95).
* The 35 A-10 Championship wins for the Minutemen are the second most in conference history behind Temple (53).
* The Minutemen advance to the Atlantic 10 Championship quarterfinals for the third straight year and the 27th time overall where they are 11-16 all-time but the Minutemen have won their past two quarterfinal games (2012 and 2013).
* The Minutemen are 11-9 all-time in first round games of the Atlantic 10 Championship.
* Massachusetts is 5-2 all-time vs. Rhode Island in the Atlantic 10 Championship. The Minutemen have won the past six overall matchups with Rhode Island and are 4-0 versus the Rams in neutral site games.
* UMass won despite shooting a season-low .315 (previous low was .333 in loss to Florida State).
* UMass had a season-high 13 steals, tied for fifth most in an Atlantic 10 Championship game.
* UMass has overcome eleven double digit deficits to win under head coach Derek Kellogg with three of those occurring this year.
A-10 Quarterfinal vs. George Washington
* UMass will face #3 George Washington in the second quarterfinal game on Friday at 9:00 p.m. UMass defeated GW during the regular season, 67-61, in Washington, D.C., on Feb. 15.
* The Minutemen won with lowest scoring total for a winning team in an Atlantic 10 Championship first round game since UMass defeated Charlotte, 59-56, in 2010.