Men's Basketball

UMass Falls At George Washington, 66-60

Freddie Riley scored 15 points, all in the first half.

Freddie Riley scored 15 points, all in the first half.

Feb. 17, 2010

Box Score |  Notes

WASHINGTON, D.C. - UMass couldn't get over the hump in the final minutes, cutting the lead to one or two on several occasions, but George Washington prevailed, 66-60 at the Smith Center on Wednesday night. The game was pivotal in the A-10 standings as the Colonials (14-10 overall) moved ahead of UMass (10-16 overall) by a half-game with a 4-7 record to the Minutemen's 4-8. Junior Anthony Gurley led UMass with 16 points and freshman Freddie Riley added 15, all in the first half. Ricky Harris added 10.

Colonial freshman Lesan Kromah was the difference as he netted a game-high 22 points including five 3-pointers. Joseph Katuka had a double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds.

After getting to within one at 54-53 on a Sean Carter alley-oop dunk with 5:16 left, GW scored the next four points on lay-ups by Kromah and Katuka to take a 58-53 lead with 3:12 left in the second. Gurley bombed his fourth 3-pointer of the half to cut the margin to 58-56 with 2:21 left. After GW went back up by five, Harris nailed a three with 21 seconds left to pull within two, but two late free throws and a steal gave the Colonials the win.

UMass didn't make a basket for the first 10:49 of the second half, missing its nine initial field goals. The Colonials took the largest lead of the game on a 3-pointer by Kromah with 11:33 left in the second half, for a 43-36 lead. The freshman added another trey to extend the lead to eight, midway through the second half. Anthony Gurley finally broke the slump with back-to-back 3-pointers for UMass making it 50-44 GW with 8:23 left in the second half.



Gurley scored 11 consecutive points for UMass to bring the Minutemen within one, 50-49 with 7:04 left in the second half.

The first half was back-and-forth all the way (16 lead changes) with neither team leading by more than five points. After GW took the largest lead at 26-21 thanks to a five-minute scoreless drought for the Minutemen, UMass scored seven points in a row to retake the lead, 28-26 on Riley's fourth 3-pointer of the first half. The Minutemen were up 31-29 at intermission thanks to 15 points from Riley.

UMass freshman Javorn Farrell was ejected with 17:45 left in the second half after he threw a punch at a GW player after the referees reviewed the play on a video monitor.

UMass' next game is Sunday, Feb. 21 vs. Saint Louis at 4 p.m., at the Mullins Center.


    Event Calendar

    September 19
    vs Court Club Golf Event, Orchards G.C. TBA
    • Loading Tweets...
      1 second ago