UMass Post Game Notes at George Washington
Feb. 15, 2014
* UMass improved to 20-5 overall and 7-4 in Atlantic 10 play. The 20 wins mark the third-consecutive season they have achieved that milestone. The last time a UMass team strung together as many consecutive 20-win campaigns was in the mid 1990s when the John Calipari-led teams did so in his final six years.
* UMass improved to 6-3 on the road and 3-3 in A-10 road games this year. The Minutemen are now 10-4 in road/neutral games. UMass also became the first team to defeat GW in the Smith Center this season. The Colonials were 12-0 coming in.
* UMass shot 49 percent in the game, marking the 12th time this season - fifth in A-10 play - to shoot as well or higher.
* UMass improved to 14-0 on the year when leading at the half (led 32-29 on Saturday).
* UMass' win brought its record in the series with GW to 29-36 and 9-20 in the nation's capital. The Minutemen have won the last two over the Colonials and the last two in the Smith Center. The road team has won the last four games played on campus. 10 of the last 14 meetings have been decided by 10 points or less.
* UMass shot a season low 46.2% (12-of-26) from the free throw line.
* UMass held the Colonials to just 4-of-13 shooting from outside for 30.8% - right on par with its 24th-ranked NCAA season field goal defense of 29.6% and 4.8 made 3s allowed per game.
* The Minutemen had five dunks on Saturday, bringing their season total to 90. Raphiael Putney had three to bring his season total to a team-high 30, while Cady Lalanne had two and raised his total to 26.
* A-10 Race: UMass moved up one spot into a tie for fifth place (with GW) with five games remaining.
* Senior F Sampson Carter tied his career high with 20 points on 7-of-10 shooting. He also made a career-best four 3-pointers. In two games this week he led the Minutemen in scoring (16 in Wednesday loss to George Mason) both games and averaged 18 points, made 59 percent of his shots form the floor (13-of-22), 4.5 rebounds and 3.0 assists. For his career, he has 894 points and 525 rebounds.
* Sophomore G Derrick Gordon continued his strong play over the past five games, finishing with 11 points, three rebounds, two assists and a steal. In the last five he has collected four double-figure games and averaged 11.4 points while raising his season scoring average from 7.6 ppg to 8.8 ppg.
* Senior F Raphiael Putney had eight points, a team-high nine rebounds, four assists, two steals and a block. His raised his career totals to 981 points, 587 rebounds and 144 blocks. In the last five games he has averaged 9.0 rpg and led the team in that category three times.
* Senior G Chaz Williams finished with eight points, six assists and two steals. His UMass totals are now 1,521 points, 656 assists and 182 steals. He is 22 assists shy of tying Chris Lowe's school record of 688 assists. In his four-year college career, Williams has 1,846 points, 794 assists and 236 steals.
* Junior C Cady Lalanne was perfect from the floor, making three field goals and two free throws for eight points. He also had six rebounds, two blocks and two steals. He played 37 minutes, including all 20 of the second half. His only time on the bench came from 14:16 to the 11:38 remaining in the first half. Only Derrick Gordon (38 minutes) played more in the game on either team.
GET YOUR OFFICIAL
|There are no upcoming events.|