UMass Postgame Notes at George Mason
Jan. 16, 2014
* UMass improved to 15-1 overall and 3-0 in Atlantic 10 play. GMU dropped to 7-10 and 0-3. This was the first time a ranked team had ever played the Patriots in the Patriot Center.
* UMass improved to 3-0 in conference play, marking the fifth 3-0 start in the last 20 seasons.
* UMass trailed 86-81 with 47 seconds to play before outscoring Mason 7-1 in that span. It was the third-consecutive game that saw the Minutemen make a late comeback. UMass trailed Saint Joseph's by nine points with six minutes to play before closing the game on an 18-5 run. On Saturday against St. Bonaventure, UMass was in a 13-point hole with nine minutes left before a 21-8 stretch allowed the team to win.
* UMass improved to 3-0 in road games this season and 8-1 away from Amherst.
* UMass improved to 124-30 all-time as a ranked team.
* UMass outscored Mason 54-48 in the paint. The 54 points are a season high (52 vs. Boston College and 50 vs. BYU).
* UMass outscored Mason 18-9 in fast break points. The 18 were the most since a season-high 19 in the opener against Boston College.
* Derek Kellogg earned his 100th career head coaching victory. He joins Jack Leaman and John Calipari as the only two coaches to attain that milestone at UMass. He is 100-78 in his sixth season at UMass.
* Chaz Williams finished with 26 points, eight assists, a career-high-tying five steals and two rebounds. He now has 1,394 points at UMass, good for 12th on the UMass career scoring list. He passed two notable names in school history on Wednesday - Julius Erving and Marcus Camby. Next on the scoring chart are Horace Neysmith at 1,428 and Mike Pyatt at 1,503.
* Chaz Williams had posted a pair of 20-point performances against Mason in his career, with both games during his freshman season when he was at Hofstra in 2009-10. After his 26 points Wednesday, he is now averaging 22 ppt over three meetings with Mason.
* Derrick Gordon recorded his second game-winning shot of the season. He had a similar play in the overtime win over Providence on Dec. 28.
* UMass recorded four turnovers as a result of its full court pressure, including the final three Patriot possessions. In the last four games, UMass has forced 18 opponent turnovers from the press.
* GMU shot 44 percent in the contest. After a 51 percent effort in the first half, the Patriots shot just 36 percent with the Minutemen playing a zone for a good portion of the half - the first time they have gone to a zone this season.