Men's Basketball

Richmond Stops UMass, 70-63 In OT

Ricky Harris scored 18 points on 8-for-21 shooting.

Ricky Harris scored 18 points on 8-for-21 shooting.

Jan. 13, 2010

Box Score |  Notes

RICHMOND, Va. - UMass made a spirited comeback after falling behind by 14 late in the first half to force overtime, but lost 70-63 on Wednesday night at the Robins Center. Richmond outscored UMass 17-10 in the extra session. Freshman Freddie Riley led UMass with 20 points while senior Ricky Harris added 18.

Richmond's duo of Kevin Anderson (19) and David Gonzalvez (16) scored 14 of the Spiders 17 points in overtime. Sophomore Darrius Garrett blocked an Atlantic 10, Richmond school-record and UMass opponent-record 14 shots. Richmond also swatted a UMass opponent record 17 shots as a team.

Richmond opened the overtime with Gonzalvez (3-pointer) and Anderson hitting back-to-back jumpers for a five-point edge at 58-53, 48 seconds into the extra period. Riley answered with an NBA-range trey to cut the lead to 58-56 with 2:34 left in OT. The teams exchanged pairs of free throws for a 60-58 Richmond lead. Anderson then made a runner for a 4-point lead, 62-58 with 1:36 left. Richmond scored the next three points on free throws to put the game out of hand.

The final eight minutes of regulation were intense on both ends of the court. Richmond held a narrow lead until 1:12 left when Harris hit a pull-up jumper to give UMass a 53-52 advantage. Darrius Garrett tied the game with a free throw with 59.6 left. Garrett then blocked a UMass shot with 45 seconds left to regain a Spiders possession. Richmond then wore down the shotclock before Javorn Farrell forced a jumpball with the arrow facing UMass' way setting up the final possession. Harris took the inbounds but couldn't get a shot off in the final 13.2 seconds.



After Harris opened the game's scoring with a fastbreak lay-up, Richmond took a 5-2 lead on a Gonzalvez 3-pointer 3:34 into the action and never trailed for the remainder of the half. The Spiders built a lead of 13 (25-12) to finish off a 10-0 run. Anderson made two free throws after a technical foul was called on head coach Derek Kellogg with 6:16 left in the first half.

UMass fed off their coach's energy and emotion and went on a 13-3 run over the final 6:16 of the half to cut the deficit to 28-25 at halftime. The Minutemen's defense was strong late in the half as it held Richmond off the board for the final 4:17 of the first half.

UMass took its first lead of the game since 2-0 on a Harris lay-up with 14:02 left in the second half to go up 36-34. The teams then traded the lead back-and-forth for the next few minutes. Riley canned back-to-back 3-pointers to give UMass a 42-39 lead with 12:04 left.

Richmond scored the seven points in a row to regain a lead of four points at 46-42 with 8:49 left in the second half. The defense continued to be intense but Richmond took a 50-46 lead on a putback by Justin Harper with 3:54 left in the second.

UMass continues its two-game road swing at No. 19 Temple on Saturday at 2 p.m. The Minutemen are in the midst of a stretch of four of five games away from the Mullins Center. UMass will host St. Bonaventure next Wednesday at 7 p.m. and play at No. 22 Baylor next Saturday.


    Event Calendar

    September 19
    vs Court Club Golf Event, Orchards G.C. TBA
    • Loading Tweets...
      1 second ago