| Game Notes
The Last Meeting
March 15, 2011
Winter Haven, Fla.
Baseball Drops 10-9 Heartbreaker To Army
The UMass baseball team scored a season-high nine runs, but seven unanswered by Army led to a heartbreaking 10-9 loss for the Minutemen at Chain of Lakes Park on Tuesday afternoon. Following the setback, UMass is 1-7 on the season, while the Black Knights improve to 3-10.
- Army comes into the weekend series with a 1-2 record after a three-game series at William & Mary.
- The Black Knights posted a 29-23 record in 2013 and return senior first baseman Patrick Mescher who finished his junior campaign with a .341 batting average and 40 RBI. Junior outfielder Mark McCants hit .314 last season with 24 RBI and 25 runs scored. Mescher and McCants were the top-two hitters for Army in 2013.
- UMass and Army last met in March 2011 with Army claiming a 10-9 victory .
- The Minutemen return 25 members from the 2013 roster, including seven of its nine regular starters in the field, but will be without the services of All-Atlantic 10 DH Rob McLam who will redshirt the 2014 season.
- The returnees who will see action this season accounted for 50% of the tam's runs scored, 65% of its RBI and 69% of its extra base hits in 2014, including eight of nine home runs.
- Senior Nik Campero is the team's top returning hitter for average after hitting .305 (50-for-164) last season with 20 RBI. Redshirt junior Adam Picard posted a .300 average in 2013 (42-for-150) and led the Minutemen with 31 RBI, while matching senior Dylan Begin for the team lead in home runs (4) last spring.
On The Mound
- UMass returns 264.9 of its 398.1 innings from last season including five individuals who made at least one start on the mound in 2013.
- Among those back for 2014 is senior DJ Jauss who posted a 4.04 ERA last year with 35 strikeouts in 49.0 innings.
- Right-handed pitcher Andrew Grant started all 12 games that he appeared in as a sophomore in 2013 and led the Minutemen in wins (3) and strikeouts (58).
- The Minutemen welcome five freshman arms to the pitching staff: Mike Geannelis, Tommy McDonald, John Mione, Ryan Moloney and Ryan Venditti.
Nearing Another Mile-Stone
- Head coach Mike Stone is entering his 27th season at the helm for the Minutemen and his 32nd overall as a head coach.
- Stone begins 2014 just 13 wins away from his 700th of his career. Overall he is currently 687-668-3 (.507) overall with a 633-578-3 (.523) mark at UMass.
- UMass will travel to College Park, Md., for a four-game series against Maryland, Feb. 28-March 2.
GET YOUR OFFICIAL
UMASS GEAR HERE