2014-2015 UMass Cheerleading
University of Massachusetts Athletics
Katie LaPlante, Head Cheerleading Coach
284 Boyden, 131 Commonwealth Ave.
Amherst, MA 01003
Phone: (413) 364-2873
UMASS ALL-GIRL DIVISION 1A CHEERLEADING TEAM
The UMass Cheerleaders perform at home football games, at Gillette Stadium and McGuirk Stadium, and any post season football games. They cheer for the men’s and women’s basketball teams home games at the Mullin’s Center, the Atlantic 10 basketball tournament in New York, and any NCAA/NIT basketball tournament games. The team represents UMass at many university and community events throughout the year, including the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) walk at Six Flags New England.
This past season, the UMass Cheerleaders travelled with the UMass Men’s Basketball team to the TD Garden in Boston, Massachusetts for the Coach’s vs. Cancer Boston Tip-Off, the Barclay’s Center in Bronx, New York for the Atlantic 10 tournament, and the PNC Arena in Raleigh, North Carolina for the NCAA tournament.
In addition to supporting the University of Massachusetts’s athletics teams, they will compete nationally at the UCA College Cheerleading National Championships in January 2015 as an All-Girl Division 1A team.
2014 - 2015 SEASON NEWS & EVENTS
· UMass Cheerleaders to host Fall 2014 Skills Clinic at Curry Hicks Gymnasium on Sunday, September 28th from 12pm - 5pm. (August 15, 2014)
· UMass Cheerleaders attend UCA College Camp at Scranton University in Scranton, Pennsylvania from August 7th - 10th! The cheerleaders placed 1st in Sideline and All-Around Game Day! They received 2nd place in Cheer and received a Newcomers award. (August 10, 2014)
· Opening day for UMass Football on Saturday, August 30th at Gillette Stadium! The Minutemen go head to head with Boston College for the Battle of the Bay. UMass Cheer Friends & Family are invited to the pre-game tailgate. Contact Coach LaPlante for more information. (July 2014)
· Senior Victorianna Casella and Juniors Kelsey Stuart and Katie Wing are named White Squad Captains for the 2014 - 2015 season. (May 19, 2014)
· Seniors Kayla Kiernan and Brittany Freeman are named Cardinal Squad Captains for the 2014 - 2015 seasons. (May 19, 2014)
Fall 2014 Skills Clinic
Sunday, September 28, 2014
The UMass Cheerleaders will host a fall clinic for middle school and high school age cheerleaders interested in skills instruction on Sunday, September 28, 2014. The clinic will be from 12pm to 5pm and is designed for individuals, teams, or partner stunt groups looking for personalized instruction on stunt, jump, and cheer techniques.
The clinic is located in Curry Hicks Gymnasium (the Cage), off of Massachusetts Avenue, on the University of Massachusetts campus. Parking is available in Lot 71 and the gym is located behind the lot and next to the lacrosse field.
Cost is $30 per person or $100 per stunt group (2 bases, flyer, and back spot). Method of payments accepted are Cash, Check, or Money Order. All checks and/or money orders should be made payable to “UMass Athletics / Cheerleaders”. Payment should be provided during registration from 12 to 1230 pm the day of clinic.
Participants should email Consent and Liability Release forms to UMassCheerleadingCoach@gmail.com by September 21st. Please contact Coach Katie LaPlante with questions at (413) 364-2873 or UMassCheerleadingCoach@gmail.
2015 - 2016 SEASON TRYOUTS
Date: May 2015
Location: UMass Campus, Amherst, MA
Curry Hicks Cage (Parking - Lot 71, Massachusetts Ave.)
Information: Anyone interested in trying out should contact Coach Katie LaPlante via email at email@example.com.
All participants will be expected to learn the UMass Fight Song prior to tryouts. Videos will be forwarded to all participants within 2 weeks prior to tryouts.
1. Strong commitment and dedication to UMass Athletics
2. Prior cheerleading and/or gymnastics experience
3. Outstanding crowd leading ability
4. Tumbling (performed without a spot)
- Strong Standing Back Handspring
- Standing Back Tuck and Standing Back Handspring Back Tuck
- Round Off Back Handspring to a Tuck, Layout, or Full Twisting Layout
5. Excellent motion technique and jumps
6. Ability to execute advanced and elite level stunts
7. Attend UCA College Camp in the summer (August) at Scranton University*
8. Attend the UCA College Cheerleading National Championships (January)
9. Acceptance into UMass Amherst / Enrollment 9 credit hours (minimum)
10. In addition to regular season practice, attend summer and Winter Break practices
*Participants trying out for the squad are expected to commit to attending UCA College Cheerleading Nationals in Orlando, Florida to be held yearly in January. An explanation of expenses will be provided at the beginning of the Fall Semester. We cannot guarantee that every team member will compete. For more information on the competition, you can visit their website www.varsity.com.
COSTS & FUNDRAISING
Throughout the season, there will be fundraising events to assist with team expenses. There may also be fundraising opportunities to assist with individual team members cheerleading expenses. Uniforms, Adidas Sneakers, Warm Ups, and Backpacks will be provided. We do not offer tuition scholarships.
Estimated Personal Costs for the Season (additional costs may be added):
Practice Wear: $75
PRIVATE COACHING / CLINICS
The UMass Cheerleaders are available for private clinics with your Pop Warner, Middle School, or High School team. Please contact Coach LaPlante for more information to see how we can assist your squad with their personal needs to improve their season!
Interested in having the UMass Cheerleaders appear at your event? Contact Katie LaPlante for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
UMASS ALUMNI CHEERLEADERS
Are you a UMass “Alumni” Cheerleader? Please forward your contact information to us and stay up to date on current happenings, alumni events, and support the current UMass Cheerleaders!
UMASS CHEERLEADERS SOCIAL MEDIA
Keep up with the latest new about UMass Cheer! Follow us for updates and information on tryouts and clinics, as well as pictures from events will be posted regularly.
@ UMassCheer (Instagram & Twitter) @UMass Cheerleaders (Facebook)