Rotating image
 Casey Wellman
Chat live with hockey sophomore Casey Wellman on Friday at 10:45 a.m. Casey's had a busy summer that included a trip to the Nashville Predators Prospect Camp. He's in town helping with the team's summer camp before getting ready for the 2009-10 season.
John Sinnett: Hello everyone and welcome to today's chat with Casey Wellman. Feel free to submit your questions at any time. Casey is helping out with the Western Mass Hockey Camp, but is going to take a break at 10:45 AM to answer all your questions. Thanks for stopping by!
Casey Wellman: Hello everyone, Casey Wellman here. Thanks for joining us in the chat today. I will be answering your questions shortly.

Max (Springfield): Casey, it was great to see you in the lineup last year. What have you worked on in the off-season? I think you, James Marcou and TJ Syner are a great offensive group!
Casey Wellman: The main thing that I worked on this off season was just getting stronger overall. I was in the gym quite a bit staying in shape. It was good to get a break from hockey for a little bit and enjoy other things but now I am back in Amherst and ready to work on skating and shooting. This should be a good year. James and TJ are great players so we will see what happens.
Casey Wellman: Thank you very much Mr. Leckie. I look forward to seeing you throughout the school year. I hope your summer is going well.

Mark Leckie (Amherst): Hi Casey: Not able to chat live on Friday, I'm finishing up field work in Colorado. However, just wanted to say congratulations about your selection by the Predators, and wish you a great sophomore season!! cheers, Mark Leckie

Eric (S. Hadley): what's it like to live in New England after growing up in California? what do you like best about each?
Casey Wellman: I have really enjoyed my time here in New England so far. The end of the winter was a little rough when I was expeting the sun to come out and it was snowing instead. I absolutely love Boston and the people in this area. California is home and it is like nothing else. My family is amazing. Getting to spend time with them is great especially since my brother and his wife just had a baby so it was good to spend time with them. The pool at my house is my favorite thing there. I soend a lot of time in it because it can get pretty hot there.

Jake - Belchertown: Casey, enjoyed watching you guys last season. Being from the West Coast, how did you end up at UMass?
Casey Wellman: Thank you. Funny story actually, I was sound asleep in my oxygen tent and Coach Gendron called me because he had been recruiting me for awhile. I guess I sounded a little groggy because he asked if it was a bad time but I woke up real quick due to the excitement. After the conversation we decided that it would be a good idea for me to go out to UMass for a visit and I fell in love with it.
Casey Wellman: It is great having a father that was a professional athlete because although it was baseball he still understands what it takes to get to the highest level of play. I was pretty young when he played but I did spend some time at the ball park with him. He always tells me how I would walk around and call everyone in a uniform daddy. My favorite memory of that was when I got to play in a father son game at Kansas City. I played baseball when I was younger but it was too slow for me. My father wanted me to do what I loved most and he just made sure that I always gave 100%.

Ed (Brattleboro, VT): Casey, I enjoyed watching you play last year and am hoping you guys have a great season. My question is, what was it like growing up with a father who was a major league pitcher? Did you get to hang out with him a lot around the ball park? Did he want you to get into baseball?

Mark (Pittsfield): Casey, what lineup do you think you will skate with this season?
Casey Wellman: I think that I may be playing with James Marcou and TJ Syner.

John - Worcester, MA: How was the Predators camp? Were you drafted by them? One of my fav memories from last year was your goal against BC!
Casey Wellman: That goal was the most exciting goal I have ever scored and I will always remember it. The Predators camp was amazing. I was not drafted by them, just invited. There was a lot of great players there and things went really well. It was quite the experience.

Jen in Brighton: What sort of things do you like to do besides play hockey?
Casey Wellman: In the summer time, I love going to my uncle's lake house to wake surf, jet ski, swim and everything else you do at a lake. I like to play golf and I am really in to movies and of course academics at the prestigious UMass Amherst.

Donna: Hi Casey, Welcome back to school. I have twin boys that are really interested in Hockey. They love watching you play, but just wanted to know what are your expectation this year?
Casey Wellman: I am expecting nothing but the best. We have a great team this year and I am really looking forward to it. I think that we have a really good chance at taking the Hockey East Championship.

Allison (Lincoln, CA): Hi Casey: Hi from one of your students at camp last week. I had a lot of fun and learned a lot at camp. I will be following your season and hope to see you next year at camp. I'm looking forward to blocking your shots. Allison
Casey Wellman: Hello Allison. It is great to hear from you. I enjoyed working with you at camp and I will definitely see you next year.

Rachel (Westhampton): Hey. what was it like after the overtime goal against BC?
Casey Wellman: After the goal I was fighting for air under that huge pile. Once that cleared, It was an unbelievable feeling. I will always remember that, it was the greatest moment of my hockey career so far.

Ryan (Amherst): If you had to pick an animal to compare your playing style with what would it be and why?
Casey Wellman: I would have to say a cheetah because the are fast, quick and agile. The can also be very aggressive.

Mandy (Longmeadow): Hey Casey, What's your NHL team you rooted for growing up? Who was your favorite player(s)?
Casey Wellman: My favorite teams are the Detroit Red Wings and the San Jose Sharks. My favorite players are Pavel Datsyuk, Alexander Ovechkin, Ilya Kovalchuk and Justin Braun.

Sean (Springfield): Since Hockey East is so difficult each season, what will it take for you guys to move up to the top 3-4 spots in the leauge?
Casey Wellman: We have a great team this year but the main thing is just staying consistent offensively and defensively. We have to pieces to do it but we will have to work hard at it.

chris (umass alum worcester): do u think u can make ist team h/east this year? also-please destroy B/C - UMIES despise BC ROLL MASS ROLL
Casey Wellman: We will do our best to beat BC just like every other team. I am not going to think about the awards given out at the end of the year. I just want to develope more and get better each day. I am really looking forward to this year though.

James (Boston): Casey, What are you looking forward to the most about sophomore year?
Casey Wellman: Winning Hockey East.
Casey Wellman: Thanks everyone for your great questions and for joining us today. I look forward to seeing you all at the Mullins Center this season.

Official Gear of
UMASS Athletics

specialty store

specialty store