Matt Vautour of the Daily Hampshire Gazette takes a look at UMass' bye week - actually a longer stretch than normal with 16 days between games - and how the players have responded to having some time off. Head coach Mark Whipple talks about how he instructed the team to get away for a bit and to just be college students again.
Recently in Rodney Mills Category
Rich Thompson of the Boston Herald has a feature on UMass football fullback/tight end Rodney Mills' breakout season for the Minutemen so far in 2014. After spending two years working his way onto the field, Mills has become one of UMass' top playmakers with four touchdown receptions on just eight catches in the first five games of the year.
As we close in on game day, here is a look at some of the headlines from this week previewing UMass football's game at Penn State on Saturday (4 PM, BTN).
- Connections run deep between UMass, Penn State football teams - Daily Hampshire Gazette
- UMass notebook: Running back Lorenzo Woodley back in the picture for Minutemen - Daily Hampshire Gazette
- Versatility of Rodney Mills an effective tool for UMass : The Daily Collegian
- Ben Roethlisberger: Whipple taught me how to be a pro : The Daily Collegian
- UMass in for a challenge against Penn State, QB Hackenberg : The Daily Collegian
- Lorenzo Woodley finds opportunity after getting lost in the shuffle : The Daily Collegian
- UMass football kicking situation still undecided, looking forward to opportunity to play at Beaver Stadium : The Daily Collegian
- After spending time in the 'dog house,' UMass football running back Lorenzo Woodley embracing return to starting role | masslive.com
- Amidst special teams blunders, UMass return specialist Trey Dudley-Giles continues to impress | masslive.com
- UMass football matchup with Penn State a welcomed homecoming for transfers Austin Whipple, Alex Kenney | masslive.com
- UMass football coach Mark Whipple says kicking decision not likely until Saturday; Freshman Matthew Wylie ready if called upon | masslive.com
- Leading the nation in tackles, UMass linebacker Jovan Santos-Knox wants defense to spend less time on the field | masslive.com
The podcast of the September 15, 2014 edition of the Bud Light UMass Football Show - Featuring head coach Mark Whipple, junior defensive back Trey Dudley-Giles, and junior fullback Rodney Mills with highlights of the Vanderbilt game and a preview of Penn State.
Following Monday's MAC Media Teleconference and the UMass Football Radio Show, several outlets have stories focusing on the Penn State game this week with a focus on the running backs.
- Matt Vautour: Independent football schedule taking shape for UMass
- After further examination, UMass running back Jamal Wilson's ankle injury 'maybe not be as bad' as originally thought | masslive.com
- UMass notebook: Running back Jamal Wilson's return this season questionable
- Decision looming at kicker, Lorenzo Woodley listed as starting running back | masslive.com
- Hackenberg draws raves from UMass coach Whipple
- UMass football coach Mark Whipple impressed with Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg: 'He's the real deal' | masslive.com
- Shadrach Abrokwah ineligible with 'non-football, non-disciplinary issue' for running back-needy Minutemen | masslive.com
For the second straight week, UMass held a double-digit lead late in the game against a Power 5 conference foe, only to see the game slip out of reach late. Vandy rallied in the fourth quarter to defeat UMass 34-31 on Saturday at Vanderbilt Stadium.
- UMass Minutemen can't close | Boston Herald
- UMass can't hold off Vanderbilt - Sports - The Boston Globe
- UMass football vs. Vanderbilt: Minutemen offensive, defensive leaders frustrated with inconsistent crunch-time play | masslive.com
- UMass football vs. Vanderbilt: After costly chip-shot miss, coach Mark Whipple says team will look at kicking situation in practice this week | masslive.com
- UMass football vs. Vanderbilt: Running back Jamal Wilson breaks leg, coach Mark Whipple says he's likely done for the season | masslive.com
- Vanderbilt 34, UMass 31: Late field-goal miss dooms Minutemen in second straight second-half collapse | masslive.com
- UMass running back Jamal Wilson likely done for the year
- Missed opportunities doom UMass football as Vanderbilt rallies to win
- UMass football falls to Vanderbilt 34-31 in crushing fashion : The Daily Collegian
- Vanderbilt beats UMass for first win of season | FOX Sports
- UMass loses heartbreaker to Vanderbilt 34-31 | WWLP.com
- UMass embarrassed Vanderbilt with fake punt TD | NCAA Football | Sporting News
- UMass Pulls Out Fake Punt, Takes Early Lead Over Vanderbilt (GIF) | College Football | NESN.com
Matt Vautour of the Daily Hampshire Gazette has a preview of the UMass offense heading into Saturday's season-opener against Boston College at Gillette Stadium. The story features quotes from Rodney Mills who will start at full back against the Eagles - he states that Whipple's offense is impressive and fits the strengths of the players.