UMass Connections To 2011 NCAA Tournament Field - UMass Athletics
UMass Connections To 2011 NCAA Tournament Field
Here's a look at UMass' connections to the 2011 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Bracket. 12 UMass opponents this season will be playing in postseason of some kind.
• Kentucky (#4 East): Coached by former UMass head coach John Calipari and assisted by former UMass assistant coach John Robic.
• Louisville (#4 Southwest): Coached by UMass 1974 alum Rick Pitino, among the all-time assist leaders in school history.
• Xavier (#6 East): Atlantic 10 rival, beat UMass in Cincinnati back on Jan. 12.
• Temple (#7 West): Long-time rival of UMass in the Atlantic 10, narrowly escaped the Minutemen with an overtime win on March 2.
• Memphis (#12 West): Former school of UMass current head coach Derek Kellogg and
former school of senior center Hashim "Big City" Bailey.
• Richmond (#12 Southwest): Atlantic 10's 2011 Champion, beat UMass in Amherst on Jan. 22.
• Bucknell (#13 West): Head coach Dave Paulsen, who came to the Bison from Williams College, also graduated from Williams in '87, where he went to school with '86 grad Kevin Morris, coach of UMass football.
• Boston University (#16 Southwest): Lost to UMass, 71-54, on Dec. 31 at the Mullins Center.
In the 2011 NIT Bracket, here are the connections to UMass.
• #1 seed Boston College, hosts McNeese State. The Eagles beat UMass at the TD Garden back on Dec. 4 and are the longtime in-state foe of the Minutemen.
• #3 seed Oklahoma State is coached by former UMass coach Travis Ford and will take on Bay State opponent Harvard in the first round. Ford led UMass to the NIT Finals in 2008 before leaving to lead the Cowboys.
• #3 seed Dayton, the defending NIT Champions, knocked UMass out of the 2011 A-10 Tournament with a 78-50 win in Amherst last Tuesday.
In the 2011 CBI, several UMass opponents from 2010-11 will be in action.
• UCF hosts St. Bonaventure in a game between two UMass foes from this season.
• Rhode Island welcomes Miami (Ohio) on Wednesday. UMass beat the Rams twice in 2011.
• Duquesne will play at Montana for a third Atlantic 10 connection.
• Finally, good luck to former "Voice of the Minutemen" Bob Behler and his Boise State Broncos, as they host Austin Peay in the CBI.
The last of the four postseason tournaments is the College Insider Tournament. Two UMass opponents play in this event.
• Quinnipiac plays the first postseason game of 2011, hosting Buffalo on Monday night.
• Rider travels to Northern Iowa on Tuesday.
TrackBack URL: http://cstv.collegesports.com/mt5.2/mt-tb.cgi/18780
MOST RECENT POSTS